FRBR and RDA Training at UCSD: Documentation
Below are links to training materials prepared for FRBR and RDA training conducted at UC San Diego in early 2013.
Disclaimer: RDA has evolved since the training was conducted, so some of the information in the presentations will no longer be accurate. Also community best practices may now make recommendations different from those presented in these documents.
Useful Background Documents
- February 7, 2013: Introduction to RDA: Identifying Manifestations and Items (Powerpoint) -- Exercises (Powerpoint)
- February 12, 2013: Describing Carriers and Identifying Works (Powerpoint) -- Exercises (Word): 3-4 / 5 -- Answers (Word): 3-4 / 5
- February 13, 2013: Identifying Expressions and Describing Content -- Exercises (Word): 6 / 7 / 8
- February 14, 2013: Relationships in RDA in Bibliographic and Authority Records
- February 19, 2013: Authorities, Part I (Powerpoint) -- Exercises (Word): Personal name 1 / Personal name 2 / Corporate name / Corporate name (Revelle)
- February 20, 2013: Authorities, Part II (Powerpoint)
- February 21, 2013: MARC 21, FRBR, and RDA (Powerpoint) -- PCC RDA BSR -- OCLC Policy -- Hybrid record guidelines -- LC checklist -- UCSD checklist (pdf) (html)
- February 26, 2013: Supplemental Training: Conferences and Changes to the Authority File
- February 27, 2013: Guided Practice Cataloging Under RDA: Original cataloging
- February 28, 2013: Guided Practice cataloging under RDA: Enhance and copy cataloging -- UCSD Instructions for RDA Copy and Enhance Cataloging
- March 14, 2013: Special materials: Moving Image Resources, Audio Recordings, Notated Music
- May 16, 2013: Special Topics: Compilations pt.1-Compilations vs. Collaborations (Powerpoint) -- Exercises (Word)
- July 25, 2013: Special Topics: Compilations pt.2-Compilations by One Creator (Powerpoint)
- August 27, 2013: Special Topics: Compilations pt. 3-Translations/Language Editions (Powerpoint)
- September 5, 2013: Special Topics: Compilations pt. 4-Commentaries, etc. (Powerpoint)
- June 16, 2015: Special Topics: WEMI Relationship -- When do I add 130/240? (Powerpoint)
Many of the sessions above were patterned on training planned and conducted by the Library of Congress. (You can click here to access their original materials.) Many of UCSD's sessions modified LC's presentations considerably, however, both for clarity or focus and to record local policies that might be different from those presented by LC.